Beep. Beep. Bop.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Honky Tonk

Well, if I could sing...

I would sing a song about a minor catastrophe involving an atm card. Little did I know that when I stopped through Conway to jumpstart my trip with megan and a cup of coffee, I very accidentally left my atm card in the damn machine.

Of course, I don't realize I've done this until I'm nearing Memphis. Now, if you're thinking no big deal, you're wrong. My atm card is everything to me. No cash, no checks, no credit cards. Okay, so I had enough cash to fill up my tank to get back to Lonoke (right outside Little Rock) where the nearest Arvest was located. My mom was hard at work getting things all figured out for me--cancelling my account for fear of fraud and all that jazz.

I really forget how absentminded I can be, which makes me doubt my competence as far as this trip is concerned. I mean: Should I really be driving all this way? No telling what other dumb acts I'm capable of committing. Hopefully, I've learned my lesson. Better to have happened in the beginning. And Lonoke wasn't so bad. I met a nice police officer and a charming boy at the local gas station. Too bad it doesn't take longer to fill up with gas.

I'm trying really hard not to let the slip up be percieved as a bad omen, just like I ignored other possible bad omens: the expensive repair on my car before leaving, a loose side view mirror, my bumper which got mysteriously hit the night before I left on my trip. These are ambiguous, right? Not bad at all... I did see one of those Oscar Myer Weiner Mobiles on the Interstate. I'm not sure what kind of omen that was. I guess there's nothing left to do but wonder when a big weiner passes you by.

Oh yeah, I also have a popazon (sp?) turned upside down and tied to the top of my car, so as people have been telling me, my car looks like a giant turtle.

I have made it to Nashville and spent a beautiful evening with Natalie, friends, and cats. Nashville strikes me as quaint. Very enjoyable. Lots of honky tonk (I've been instructed to use this word as much as possible in my description of Nashville). No complaints. And for all of those who know Natalie, she's doing great and is still a bottle of fun. So are her cats. Frisky, indeed.

And remember, you can respond to these posts. I'll even let you rate them if you want.

7 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i rate that post a 7. great use of the term 'honkey tonk,' as well as clever turtle imagery. glad to hear you're doing okay, girl.

cale

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hay ellen
thanks for the cliff hanger, i'm dying to know, did you get your atm-card back? how did your ard get from conway to lonoke/
i saw the oscar myer wiener too on my way home from fayetteville. it must be touring small i-40 towns bringing happy wiener dreams to their denizens. i also saw the spam-mobile and today i saw the good year blimp. you shoulda stayed in conway longer! you missed it. well now i'm totaly jealous because youre hanging out with joshie. hope you're having fun
oh and i give this post a 8.5 i love you more than cale does
love megan

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no! tragedy! but if anyone can overcome a lost atm card and a big sopping wet turtle, it's you. (don't worry about the chair, we'll let dry on my fire escape for a while, if not, we'll just blame my mom). i'm honored to be one of the destinations of your trip and i can't wait for you (and all the damn stuff my mom piled into your car) to get here,

i rate you post an 8.7 for the pure emotional levity present.

xoxo,
emily

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

actually i saw the goodyear blimp, too. i decided not to say anything about it, because i thought the weiner would be enough. well, i didn't get my atm card back. someone turned it in (without taking any money out of my account--i love good people) but my mom isn't as trusting and thought they might have written my number down, so i had to get a new card issued in lonoke. i'm thinking about having josh be my guest/ghost blogger for the chapel hill entry...good idea?

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One entry found for weiner.


Main Entry: wei·ner
variant of WIENER

i wanted to tell you that you spelled wiener wrong but what do i know? webster knows best

i'm really glad you got to see the goodyear blimp in addition to the wienermobile. a blimp!! that made my day!

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

i before e, except after c...i'll be more careful in the future.

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no no, weiner is right, too
they should change the jingle
i before e except after c and w(ei)(ie)ners

 

Post a Comment

<< Home